1) The general theme of the book is how to succeed in the industry by using social media. As an Apple employee, Guy Kawasaki has gained expert knowledge in marketing and media platforms. He explains that it costs nothing to start marketing, but platforms become more valuable and you will have to work to stand out. His main messages are to make sure you have a level of professionalism, create content that consumers will want to see, and allow for cross-promotion on different platforms. They say these fundamentals will stay true even as the media evolves.
2) This book relates to the material in ENT3003 as it can be a useful resource to look into when trying to market your business idea on social media. Using social media will most definitely enhance your social capital, which was a lesson we just recently spoke about. The more people that know about your business and more connections you make with people that can help you will only benefit the business. Social media is a great way to present your product or service to the market and allow you to connect to other businesses as well.
3) If I were to create an exercise relating to The Art of Social Media: Power Tips for Power Users would be to create an account or two on your choice of social media platform relating to the business idea we create through this class. For example, to create a Facebook and Instagram page with a bio, profile picture, website link, etc. I think the goal would be to exert a level of professionalism on the pages, since that was a kay point related to the book. Many teenagers use social media for fun or self expression, and I think some may find this challenging.
4) I think the concept that really clicked in this book was the use of multiple media platforms. In the sense of growing your audience, you have to have multiple accounts, but not too many where you cannot manage them all. I thought the more platforms the better, but in reality you just need to manage the couple more efficiently. He explained a good example of making a tweet on Twitter that a big announcement was just being released on their instagram page, with a link provided. This is a very smart way to grow both these platforms and something I have never though of.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Caroline,
ReplyDeleteI think you did a really good job on this post. I find the topic of the book you read very interesting because it's not something I think about often. While I personally keep my social medias appropriate, they were definitely obviously made for fun and to connect with my friends. I liked your assignment idea because it's an assignment I would probably enjoy actually doing and seeing the result.
Hi!
ReplyDeleteThe last post I commented on was on the same reading reflection. I definitely agree with how you described that this book relates to the course work in this class. Based on the other reading reflection I read, I would say that you both have very good, very accurate portrayals of the reading.
Reading your post gave me an "aha" moment, this book seems like a great read! I like how you tied it back to our social capital too! Social media is something we pretty much all use, it only makes sense that we use it to its fullest effect to help us learn to market and network. I love your assignment idea too! i've been working on theme pages on Instagram, and over the last year gained 41k followers. I've learned so much about marketing just doing this by myself, so i think your advice is awesome. I plan to read this book!
ReplyDelete