Thursday, April 16, 2020

27A – Reading Reflection No. 3

1) The book "How To Fail At Almost Everything And Still Win Big," Scott Adams shares his experiences that he went in his life as he learned to take care of himself as he went through failures and losses. He went from many loses to eventually being successful and winning big. He did this by assessing his life around systems instead of goals. He explained how these systems were more in the future and more specific, but to leave room for adjustment and disregard time. He also shares how if you are comfortable taking risks to sample jobs. You will find out your fears, strengths, and preferences until you find one that is right for you. The next thing Adams explains is to find your energy not your passion. Creating a balance of activity, space and time with help create schedule and keep you motivated. He states if you manage the energy well, you can fail many times and still win big.
2) In my opinion, this book relates to the class in a couple ways. In the beginning of the semester, we talked about what makes up an entrepreneur. One of the debated characteristics was that they are risk takers. I think this book connects to this as Scott Adams says he took risks in other jobs to try to find what was best for him. I also think that this book relates to the last assignment (26), where we talked about our failures. This book shows a great example of someone who failed multiple times but still won at the end of everything.
3) I think if there were an assigned based on this boom, it would be similar to assignment 26 where we explained our failures and what we learned about it. I would maybe tie it into our business ideas and create a perfect schedule to make sure you have the right energy and motivation.
4) I think the 'aha' moment was when he explained to find our energy and not our passion. If you have energy and are motivated in the job that stuck with you, you should not have an issue with failure. I also really think that disregarding time when you are trying to whats best for your success is really important. I think the key is to allow yourself to adjust to the change in your natural life cycle.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Caroline,
    The book that you read sounds like it is a very interesting one. I agree that him talking about finding your energy instead of your passion is a very interesting take on life. This is definitely not something I have thought about as I am a very passion-driven person. Pretty much all of my big life decisions were driven by passion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caroline,

    I also wrote about the same book, and I also believe that it strongly relates to our assignment 26 where we discuss about failure. By using our abilities to the fullest and accepting failure as part of a stepping stone to greater things, we can accomplish so much more as human beings, not just in an entrepreneur sense, but other senses as well. I am glad to be able to relate to someone with this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    I really wanted to read this book, but I ended up doing a different one. I love how in depth your explanations are for everything. Based on everything you're saying, I think I'm definitely regretting my book choice a little bit haha. I can definitely see how an assignment like assignment 26 would be suitable for a book like this. Good job!

    ReplyDelete