Solving the Problem
1) My opportunity is in regard to in the United States, flu
shots are not as effective because the shot is designed for one predicted
epidemic strand. This is an issue that effects so many Americans and is quite
severe of a problem.
2)
In
order to improve the effectiveness of flu shots, I think a program needs to be created
that pursues a mobile service of free or rewarded flu shots. Somewhat like a blood
donation bus. If you donate blood on campus you get a reward of a UF T-shirt.
As I learned in my interviews, a student explained how he received a Publix
gift card for going there to get his flu shot. As many do not have the time in
their day to go out one extra time to go get a shot, this service could travel
to workplaces and schools and provide shots to employees/students in order to
keep their facilities heathy. The more people that have the shot the less
likely it is prone to spread. I think that the convenience of having a mobile
service will have an effect on the amount of people who receive a vaccination.
Instead of taking time from work to go get the vaccine, it will come to you. Not
only will this service will be beneficial for health of U.S. citizens it will give
more people opportunities for work, and students opportunities to intern and
learn from other nurses who are doing the service.
The solution to your opportunity is a good idea, because the more convenient the solution, the more that people will do it. My solution has a similar idea because it involves a compost pick-up service that comes to the customer for convenience. However, I think that it would be beneficial to follow up on the fact that the flu shot only prevents one specific strain of flu virus because that is one of the main problems.
ReplyDeleteHi Caroline,
ReplyDeleteI really like your opportunity and idea. I think it is a great idea because I do not really get the flu shot due to time constraints. Having the ability to have mobile service will allow us to stay safe and get examined rather than not. This opportunity will allow other people to create jobs and create a vaccine filled world which is great in the long run! My only concern would be is how the money for the flu shot will be received, as it is really hard to buy flu shots without insurance.
Hi Caroline,
ReplyDeleteI personally think this is such a good idea, especially for UF. Students here love free stuff. I could definitely see your idea on campus, and I could see it working out, too. It would be easy for students: they could walk by, get their shot and get a free shirt quickly and easily. It's somewhat difficult and time consuming to go out of your way to go and get a flu shot, especially being a college student. I know so many people who would actually do this.
Something I think you have to consider with this venture (which i'm already a huge fan of) is that this is a seasonal opportunity. I like the idea of incentivizing health, the biggest reason for why I wouldn't get a flu shot is because I don't have the time or feel compelled to do so. The issue is if you're incentivizing too much theres no way you'll be able to sustain a profitable business operation. I think it might be a good idea to see if theres any local non profit or government/university subsidized health organizations that provide free vaccinations, and work with them to try and further identify the problem and/or create a possible solution that they could help you sustain. Either way I think you've a great idea and should stick with it, even if you can't think of a way to make it profitable-- theres plenty of opportunities with non profit or subsidized businesses!
ReplyDelete