Identifying Opportunities in Economic & Regulatory Trends
1. Economic: Food Stamps are being made
harder to get.
B)
In West Virginia, there are more
defined work requirements to acquire food stamps. It has not only induced
stress for poorer people but did not increase the employment rate either.
C)
The people who would be the prototypical
customer would be the poorer people who have lost their opportunity to receive food
stamps. In the article, it states that there will be around 700,000 people who
will lose their food stamps.
D)
I think that this opportunity would
be on the difficult to exploit as it was a state-wide policy change. There are
also federal laws in place that has a time limit on how long you can receive the
food stamps. The opportunity has many opinions surrounding it and would be difficult
to come to a solution.
E)
I don’t believe that there was
anything that I’ve experienced that helped me find this opportunity. I think
that this situation is interesting and emotionally attracting. Reading stories
like this is an eye opener to the problems outside your area, as you see the
conflicts others are struggling with.
2.
Economic: China trade deficit hurts
U.S. jobs.
B)
Since America’s worsening trade
deficit with China has occurred, there have been a major loss of around four
million jobs especially focused in California and Texas. I think there is an
opportunity to create a system to redistribute the jobs in these struggling states.
C)
The people that would be the
prototypical customer would be the U.S. citizens that have lost their jobs due
to the trade deficit.
D)
I think that this opportunity would
be easier to exploit as the economy is always changing, and so is the trade system.
Since the economy is fluctuating, there may be more job opportunities, but we are
unable to predict them.
E)
I picked this opportunity as it is something
that affects my country. I have not personally known anyone that has suffered a
job loss due to the trade deficit but have heard stories about others losing
their jobs and struggling. It is an important factor in measuring the life
quality of the country and I think it would be worth looking into.
3.
Regulatory: New federal regulations
against the Corona virus affects cargo and cruise ship industries.
B)
Due to the spread of the Corona
virus by transportation, there has been new federal travel regulations that
heavily affect the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach. I think that there
needs to be a way to allow the port operations to continue to run and find
other way to stop the flow of the virus into the U.S.
C)
The people that would be the prototypical
customers would be the cruise ship owners and cargo companies as well as the
citizens of the U.S. who could be affected by these regulations.
D)
This opportunity would be difficult
to exploit as there are many others ways the virus can spread and there is no
real solution to keep the corona virus out of the U.S. Stopping the cargo and
cruise ships seems to create more issues.
E)
This opportunity stuck me personally
as the corona virus has spread into the U.S. and has had cases here at UF. Many
people have been severely affected by the virus and I think that looking into
this opportunity could help many citizens stay healthy.
4.
Regulatory: FDA regulation of
electric nicotine delivery systems.
B)
This opportunity exists as on December
20, 2019 the President signed legislation to change the minimum age of sale of
tobacco products from 18 to 21 years. It is for the safety and benefit of
teenagers overusing these products.
C)
The prototypical customers would be
the people aged 18 to 21 who used to buy these products. It also would involve
the companies whose sales will lowered due to the rise in age.
D)
This opportunity would be easy to
exploit as there is medical research done on the danger of using these tobacco
and electric nicotine devices. There have been serious cases of teenagers
passing from the overuse of these products. Federal legislation has stepped in
to keep minors safe.
E)
I picked this opportunity as it is a
problem that my generation faces today, especially college students. There are
many teenagers that are getting addicted to these products and are accepting
the damage they are doing to their bodies. It will be interesting to see if
these devices ever get fully banned to start helping people aged 21 and up who
are addicted as well.
We had some similarities in going to government sites to find opportunities, but I solely went to government websites. This made it difficult to understand some of the regulations because they were all from official state and federal records. The coronavirus topic was a good choice because it is very relevant right now.
ReplyDeleteHi! First, I really love how organized your post is! I also like that you chose such relevant topics. Personally, I found it pretty difficult to find topics for this assignment, but I see that you found some really good ones! Your explanations for them were also really good.
ReplyDelete