Thursday, February 6, 2020

Testing the Hypothesis, Part 1

Testing the Hypothesis, Part 1

Opportunity: In the United States, flu shots are not as effective because the shot is designed for one predicted epidemic strand. 

The Who: United States citizens.
The what: Flu shots are not fully effective. 
The why: The shot is for the predicted epidemic strand of the flu, and there are many different strands. 

Testing the who: There are most definitely other people who have this need, other countries outside the U.S. struggle with flu viruses. There are many strands of flu that transfer from country to country which makes the different strains even harder to tackle. Every age can be affected by the flu and does specifically effect any cohort.

Testing the what: Flu shots are not as effective also due to the fact that everyone does not receive one. This is a factor that could limit how effective the shot is as well because others are spreading it. Other reasonings that they are not effective could be in your genetics. If you have a low immune system, or happen to be sick, your body cannot fight off the vaccination. 

Testing the why: Many doctors cannot predict the waves of flu strands that come through, so there is not enough time to create a new vaccine and deliver it to people before it hits. These unpredictable patterns make it difficult to pick one strain for vaccination. If you get the shot for one strain, there is still a high chance you could receive another especially if you work in social settings.

Interview #1: 

In this interview, I spoke to my doctor. She explained to me that many parents are avoiding giving their children any type of vaccination. She explained to me that it is very harmful and can put other children such as kids at their school and family in danger for receiving the flu. She also mentioned that even if you do get the flu after a flu shot that your symptoms will be lessened and you will have a quicker recovery time. She highly recommended to stay away from others when having the flu to prevent getting others sick and to prevent yourself from inheriting other illnesses. 

Interview #2:

The second person I spoke to was my mom, who is a preschool teacher. Since children are more likely to receive this sickness I thought it would be interesting to see her views. I asked her how many sick children get dropped off at school on average, and she stated that there is a multitude of kids constantly sneezing and coughing every day. She tells me that many of her staff members have gotten ill due to the children not being sent home when they have symptoms. To keep the faculty safe they are all highly recommended to get flu shots, especially during the season. She states that many have started with a common cold most likely derived from a child, had turned into the flu as their body could not fight it off. 

Interview #3 

I interviewed a fellow friend who had just been cleared after having the flu. She is a student athlete so her body is constantly tired and being worked.  I asked her if she got a flu vaccination this year and she said yes. She explained to me that her doctor said that the shot was quite ineffective this year, and that the shot was not necessarily helpful. She had tested positive for flu strand A when the vaccination was more effective for strand B. She said that she decided to go home so her roommate and other dorm residents would be safer. 

Interview #4:

In the fourth interview I choose to interview a UF student. Is asked him again if he received the flu this year and he said “no, but I did receive a flu shot.” I asked him if he was concerned to get the flu due to his living situations, and being at a large university. He stated that he was motivated to get the flu shot to protect himself and others around him, and that many kids were already sick in his classes. He did not want to be sick, not be able to do school work and fall behind. He also explained to me that he had a good incentive to receive a shot other than staying healthy. There was a reward at the Publix of a $10 if you went and got a free flu vaccine. He said that this is a very appealing deal especially for college students. 

Interview #5:

In this interview, I questioned one of my family friends who happens to be pregnant. In many studies, pregnant people are heavily affected by the flu and have a high risk. I asked her if she received a flu shot this year, and she responded yes. She explained to me that we wanted to not only keep herself healthy but also her baby. She explained to me that if she inherited the flu that there could be complications with her pregnancy and post birth defects. She was very concerned that she would not be protected from the many strains of flu especially when she went out in public areas. 



Findings: After interviewing these people, I have found that this opportunity is more serious than I originally thought. It effects more people than we know and can have serious consequences. From my doctor, I learned that some parents do not believe in vaccination. This is very dangerous for other people and could be a reason that the virus spreads. From my mom, I gained information that parents are bringing sick children to school. There should be rules regarding sickness in order to protect other students and staff. From the students I interviewed, they both explained how kids in their classes are sick. The male student though did inform me of an incentive to the flu shot. Other companies need to be making similar rewards to keep more people safe. I also learned from my last interview that the flu can cause serious harm to babies and pregnant women. This is not just an issue now but could possibly affect some people’s futures. 

6 comments:

  1. This is such a unique topic compared to mine, as I did composting as my topic. This is extremely important, especially during the current flu season. I agree with the idea that this is a very crucial opportunity to follow up on. What stood out to me was that the pregnant woman definitely got a flu shot, but the college student did not. This completely makes sense because most pregnant mothers are very worried about their health, but college kids don't think about it as much which is a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caroline!

    I really like your topic because it is different from mine. I was focusing more on the social media aspect, but your opportunity is more of a necessity because of the danger of the flu. I also do not get the flu shot, and reading this made me realized how important flu shots are. I should take it more seriously, and I cannot wait to see how you resolve the problem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I think your topic is really interesting. I like that your post is so neatly organized! I think overall your post included a lot of detail and you really didn't leave out much information. You also included the types of people you interviewed, which is something I didn't do but wish I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Caroline,
    The topic of flu vaccinations or vaccinations in general is one that people tend to have a lot of opinions on. I have never had a flu vaccination and have only gotten the flu once in my life. I spend my days around dirty and germ-y toddlers with runny noses so I am surprised that I haven't gotten it, but many of my co-workers have. I like how you interviewed people from various perspectives, especially a woman who is pregnant. A pregnant woman having the flu can be very dangerous. I look forward to seeing the solution to this problem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Caroline,
    I really enjoyed reading about your opportunity regarding flu vaccinations. I also did not realize how big of an issue this is. I used to get flu shots every year, but the past couple of years I have not, I guess because I have not had it in so long that I don't feel very threatened by it. I like your point about flu shots being less effective because not enough people get them. I think it is important for people to be educated on vaccines and how to prevent the spreading of diseases for the sake of their own and others' safety. This is a great opportunity and could be exploited easily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. You did an incredible job identifying a unique opportunity. I was aware the flu shot this year was particularly ineffective, and as a student currently recovering from the flu I see the demand. I think you've identified an incredible problem with a huge demand but I think you might have a harder time creating a solution. Concocting a better version of the flu shot probably isn't easy, so I think you'd have to focus on widespread preventative measures of go off on some sort of tangent to the problem rather than trying to solve it directly. Maybe create an at home flu test? a disposable cover to ensure cleanliness during flu season? I don't honestly know what tangent you'd want to go out on, but i think it'd help you to consider some tangents to the issue. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete